<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14084555\x26blogName\x3dPre-Cal+30S\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pc30s.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pc30s.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d931551856370134750', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Scribes Subscript

Alright well today in class we learned about absolute values with the substitute teacher. The lesson was really just a demonstration on how to solve absolute value equations after a to the point explanation on what the absolute value is. He explained that the absolute value is the positive of whatever real number you have within the two upright lines. Now when I first looked at what he had on the board I though, "Why does he have a one before and after that x?" I think that mathematicians could have chosen a better symbol out of the myriad of shapes that you can make with a pencil other than one that looks exactly like a one (or atleast the ones I write), except maybe slighter longer. Now that I'm done with that tangeant... Here are a few of the questions he put up on the board as examples.

This was the first question. Well it wasn't really a question, it was more of an example. It reads, ahem, the absolute value of x is equal to eight. So x can be equal to 8 or negative 8.

Alright well it seems blogger doesn't like my second image so ill try to do it correctly on here... (after I did this it seemed that blogger didn't like my absolute value symbols either, so in there place are braces { })

{3x - 5}= 7

3x - 5 = 7 or 3x - 5 = -7

3x = 12 or 3x = -2

x = 4 or x = -2/3

Check

{3(4) - 5} = 7 or {3(-2/3) - 5} = 7

{12 - 5} = 7 or {- 2 -5} = 7

{7} =7 or {-7} = 7

Both answers work

Once again it doesn't like my images for any of the other questions and it doesn't like my symbols. So I'm just going to go to the last one, which was the only other one that was different.

{x - 2} = {3x + 1}

x - 2 = 3x - 1 or x - 2 = -( 3x - 1 )

2x = -1 or x -2 = -3x + 1

x = -1/2 or 4x = 3

x = 3/4

check

{-1/2 - 2 = 3(-1/2) -1} or {3/4 -2 = 3(3/4) + 1}

{-5/2} = {-5/2} or {-5/4} = {13/4}

Only -1/2 works as an answer. The other answer is extraneous.

Now with that question it seemed that there would have been four possible answers because of the ++, --, +- and -+. But..... The double negative and the double positive are the same equation and the positive negative and the negative positive are also the same equation. So you only need to write each of those once. If either of these examples is wrong please tell me because I'm still not 100% sure on these and there are about three different answers to the last one in particular on my paper. I chose the one that made sense to me but as I said I'm not sure.

I believe that I have covered everything and I am really starting to get angry with blogger, so I'm going to end now. The next scribe is................(drumroll please)...................... Craig K.

3 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 10:34 PM, Blogger Richy said...

Just try, try again Graeme until Blogger Works for you. lol. Trust me it get's really ANNOYING at times but it's alright. Just get used to it and get it until you get it. Oh ya. Great Post by the way. Haha.

 
At 10/18/2005 10:36 PM, Blogger GraemeW said...

My fingers are near bleeding Richard. Believe me I tried.

 
At 10/18/2005 10:42 PM, Blogger AichelleS. said...

lol haha nice post lol Reeshard you beat me haha

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home